Political and Civic Participation
- Political and Civic Participation was the only domain to record an average global deterioration, albeit minimal at 0.18 per cent.
- Worldwide, 102 countries deteriorated, while 79 improved.
- On average in 2018, only 20% of youth in each country reported that they volunteered their time; while 16.2% reported that they had voiced an opinion to an official in the previous 30 days.
- In contrast, recognition of young people’s investments in improving their communities has increased on average by over 10%.
- Sub-Saharan Africa recorded a nearly 5% improvement in the average regional score.
- Australia, Sierra Leone and Uganda are the Commonwealth countries who are among the best performers.
|Top Global Performers on Political and Civic Participation|
Download the report for insights into:
- The principles, structures and processes of rights-based youth participation.
- The principles of youth mainstreaming and their relationship to effective participation.
- How young people have participated in the global, regional and national processes to design youth development indices.
- How the Commonwealth Secretariat is mainstreaming youth participation in its work through The Foundry.
- The perspectives of global and regional youth leaders on priorities for action.
- Examples of #YouthTakingCharge by promoting democracy, racial and economic justice.